As we gear up for our 2020 International Women’s Day events, we’re reflecting on some of the life changing quotes from our 2019 IWD celebrations.
Last year, we hosted over 3,000 women across three cities and raised in excess of $40,000 for charity. It was a huge privilege to be in the presence of feminist icons, Anne Summers and Susan Alberti AC, and those new faces shaping the women’s movement.
Along with Anne Summers and Susan Alberti AC, Amna Karra-Hassan, Sam Bloom, JoAnna Ferrari and Marita Cheng took to the Business Chicks stage. There were tears, there were standing ovations, and so much admiration for these six courage women.
Read through for our favourite International Women’s Day quotes, and bookmark this page when you’re feeling low and need a hit of inspiration!
1. “You are never too old or too damaged to do the things that matter most. Life is a precious and fragile thing— don’t put your dreams on hold, make them happen today, not tomorrow.” – Sam Bloom
2. “Get comfortable being uncomfortable! The space is available, it’s up to us to occupy it.” – Amna Karra-Hassan
3. “People who are successful have to fail sometimes. Learn from your failures and do better next time.” – Marita Cheng
4. “To be powerful together, we need to sit in our own power first.” – Amna Karra-Hassan
5. “I trod heavily on the earth and I encourage all of you to do the same.” – Anne Summers
6. “I used to play footy and was a damn good footballer— I was the star of my family. I knew grassroots football was important for the well-being of our community and now, nationally, we’ve had over 600,000 women play in the AFL. Finally, now women are in a league of their own.” – Susan Alberti AC
7. “We are more powerful together— trust me, I know.” – Sam Bloom
8. “If you don’t have your health, you have nothing.” – Susan Alberti AC
9. “Be the change you want to see in your OWN world. The things you don’t relate to anymore, including people— say goodbye to them.” – JoAnna Ferrari
10. “Being a woman is what you make it.” – Anne Summers
11. “I wanted to change myself as much as I wanted to change the world.” – Anne Summers
12. “If you make decisions before you make a commitment, you won’t get to where you want. you have to make the commitment first.” – JoAnna Ferrari
13. “Only 2% of women are in trade positions. I’m going to go out there and get more women to have the opportunity to be in trades.” – Susan Alberti AC
14. “It doesn’t matter how old you are or how smart you are. All that matters is your imagination and how your creativity can conquer reality.” – Marita Cheng