We’re still on a high from our sold-out International Women’s Day events last week.
We hosted over 3,000 women across three cities and raised in excess of $40,000 for charity. It was a huge privilege to be in the presence of feminist icons, Anne Summers and Susan Alberti AC, and those new faces shaping the women’s movement.
Along with Anne Summers and Susan Alberti AC, Amna Karra-Hassan, Sam Bloom, JoAnna Ferrari and Marita Cheng took to the Business Chicks stage. There were tears, there were standing ovations, and so much admiration for these six courage women.
Read through for our favourite quotes from our events, and bookmark this page when you’re feeling low and need a hit of inspiration!
1. “You are never too old or too damaged to do the things that matter most. Life is a precious and fragile thing— don’t put your dreams on hold, make them happen today, not tomorrow.” – Sam Bloom
2. “Get comfortable being uncomfortable! The space is available, it’s up to us to occupy it.” – Amna Karra-Hassan
3. “People who are successful have to fail sometimes. Learn from your failures and do better next time.” – Marita Cheng
4. “To be powerful together, we need to sit in our own power first.” – Amna Karra-Hassan
5. “I trod heavily on the earth and I encourage all of you to do the same.” – Anne Summers
6. “I used to play footy and was a damn good footballer— I was the star of my family. I knew grassroots football was important for the well-being of our community and now, nationally, we’ve had over 600,000 women play in the AFL. Finally, now women are in a league of their own.” – Susan Alberti AC
7. “We are more powerful together— trust me, I know.” – Sam Bloom
8. “If you don’t have your health, you have nothing.” – Susan Alberti AC
9. “Be the change you want to see in your OWN world. The things you don’t relate to anymore, including people— say goodbye to them.” – JoAnna Ferrari
10. “Being a woman is what you make it.” – Anne Summers
11. “I wanted to change myself as much as I wanted to change the world.” – Anne Summers
12. “If you make decisions before you make a commitment, you won’t get to where you want. you have to make the commitment first.” – JoAnna Ferrari
13. “Only 2% of women are in trade positions. I’m going to go out there and get more women to have the opportunity to be in trades.” – Susan Alberti AC
14. “It doesn’t matter how old you are or how smart you are. All that matters is your imagination and how your creativity can conquer reality.” – Marita Cheng
Did you know that Miss Elizabeth Arden was a feminist force – marching for women’s suffrage in 1912? To bring together women in solidarity, she handed out red lipsticks to fellow marcher. In her legacy, Elizabeth Arden released their March On range in support of International Women’s Day. A huge thanks Elizabeth Arden, our event partner, for not only providing us with make-up touch ups on the day but for donating 100% of the proceeds of their Limited Edition ‘Pink Punch’ lipstick to UN Women. In case you missed out, you can still treat yourself here (and support others at the same time)!